Nursing Home Compare Changes
September 26, 2023
Two major changes announced by CMS on 9/20/2023 QSO Memo
- CMS will revise the staffing rating methodology so providers that fail to submit staffing data or submit erroneous data will receive the lowest score possible for corresponding staffing turnover measures.
- Beginning in April 2024:
- CMS will freeze (i.e., hold constant) the staffing measures for three months. In July 2024, CMS will post nursing home staffing measures based on the new PDPM methodology. To minimize the potential disruption associated with the implementation of the new case-mix adjustment methodology, CMS will revise the staffing rating thresholds to maintain the same overall distribution of points for affected staffing measures.
- CMS will freeze (hold constant) these four measures on Nursing Home Care Compare:
- Percentage of Residents Who Made Improvements in Function (short stay) In October 2024, CMS will replace the short-stay functionality QM with the new cross-setting functionality QM, which is used in the SNF Quality Reporting Program (QRP).
- The remaining three measures will continue to be frozen until January 2025 while the data for the equivalent measures are collected.
- Percent of Residents Whose Need for Help with Activities of Daily Living Has Increased (long-stay)
- Percent of Residents Whose Ability to Move Independently Worsened (long stay)
- Percent of High-Risk Residents with Pressure Ulcers (long stay)