Director of Nursing (DON)
Responsible for developing, directing and managing the nursing services department to ensure the delivery of high quality nursing care and services in accordance with all laws, regulations and facility guidelines.
Education and Certification:
Associate’s or Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing required; current RN license in good standing within applicable state.
Minimum of two years experience in health care, long-term care; geriatrics nursing experience preferred; must have proven leadership skills.
Essential Job Duties
• Responsible for overall supervision of the Nursing Department and providing guidance to both management and non-management Nursing staff.
• Appointed as facility Risk Manager and is responsible for overseeing investigations related to resident events.
• Reviews all facility events in an efficient manner to comply with all State and Federal regulations.
• Recruits, selects and orients qualified team members for the Nursing Department.
• Provides expectations and monitors performance of Nursing Department staff in accordance with budgetary obligations.
• Effectively manages the labor budget and control of expenses in accordance with facility guidelines.
• Directs and develops the nursing department to ensure the delivery of high quality care and services in accordance with all laws, regulations and facility guidelines.
• Schedules, attends and actively participates in care plan meetings as required by the facility guidelines.
• Coordinates, schedules and actively participates in resident care conferences.
• Performs investigations in accordance with state guidelines for allegations of resident neglect, abuse or misappropriation of resident property and effectively resolves any issues.
• Assesses resident care needs and accepts recommendations from the nursing management regarding the nursing department’s ability to meeting those needs and implements change as needed.
• Assesses newly admitted residents and compares physician orders to care plans.
• Ensures that physicians have recorded and signed progress notes, orders, etc. in a timely manner.
• Monitors nursing notes to ensure information recorded is timely, accurate and descriptive.
• Performs daily rounds within the nursing department to effectively monitor residents and ensure that nursing needs have been met as outlined on the care plans and infection control guidelines are being followed.
• Ensures that all medication passes and schedules for resident treatment are timely, accurate and compliant.
• Evaluates resident needs and makes recommendations for appropriate staffing levels for CNAs, LPNs and RNs per shift.
• Monitors availability of medications, supplies and equipment to ensure adequate availability for care needs.
• Investigates grievances or complaints regarding the nursing department in a timely manner to determine the best resolution and forwards to the Administrator.
• Monitors licenses and certifications for nursing staff to ensure all are valid and current.
• Ensures policy and procedure adherence and monitors absenteeism; meets with staff as needed to perform necessary corrective action steps.
• Oversees the MDS staff to ensure timely completion of MDS and care plans by reviewing necessary reports.
• Creates and monitors the Quality Assurance program, reviews, reports and makes recommendations to the QA improvement team.
• Ensures appropriate staffing of CNAs, LPNs and RNs in accordance with local and state guidelines.
• Performs rounds within the nursing department to ensure that all infection control measures are in practiced actively and accurately.
• Educates staff and other on isolation policy and handling of residents with infections.
• Serves as the primary contact for local health department for reporting infectious diseases within the facility.
• May be required to participate in various routine and non-routine meetings to enhance the effectiveness and efficiency of facility outcomes.
• Builds an effective nursing team and actively participates in state or federal survey processes.
• Assumes responsibility as the Administrator in his or her absence.
• Assists in the admission process for selection of new residents.
• Actively participates in development and delivery of in-service training programs.
• Participates in facility and department orientation program for new employees.
• Provides verbal and written reports to the Administrator and makes care recommendations.
• Communicates new admissions with nursing staff to ensure rooms are prepared for arrival.
• Accompanies physicians through nursing department rounds.
• Provides direct nursing care as necessary.
• Promotes continuity of care through partnering with other departments (i.e. Rehab).
• Participates in discharge planning process.
• Educates staff on facility policies regarding resident right to refuse treatments.
• Reviews advance directive policies and procedures with residents or resident representatives.
• Assists with administrative duties as needed or requested.
6005 S Holly
Centennial, CO 80121