CNA of the Year FAQ
Colorado Health Care Association’s “Spotlight on Excellence” awards process is a time honored event through which we get to help you recognize and honor outstanding long term caregivers. The CNA of the Year is one of these special awards. This award is given to an individual CNA working in a CHCA member facility who has gone above and beyond the call of duty, continually striving to provide quality care and quality of life for their residents. The recognition shown to deserving staff members helps you build the teams that will shape the future of our profession.
The CNA nomination process is separate from the other nomination categories and has a different due date. CHCA will collate the nominations by district and send the nominations to each district chair for judging in their district. Each district is still responsible for assembling a panel of judges in their district to select a 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winner in their district and host a district CNA awards program. The district chair is then responsible for returning the 1st place CNA winner from their district with photo to CHCA by August 14, 2020. All six CNA District Nominees will be honored during our “Spotlight on Excellence” awards on October 15, 2020.
WHO CAN NOMINATE?
Employees, residents, family members, physicians, advocates, and others involved in long term care.
WHO CAN BE NOMINATED?
A CNA who has worked in the nominating facility or organization for at least two years prior to the date of the nomination and in health care for at least five years prior to the date of nomination.
WHAT SHOULD BE INCLUDED IN EACH NOMINATION?
Each nomination should include a nomination form, three nomination letters and at least one picture of the applicant. Each letter should be no more than two (2) typed pages. All nominations must be typed! Patient letters may be legibly handwritten.
WHERE SHOULD THE NOMINEE’S NAME APPEAR?
Only on the nomination cover form!
Any nomination letter that includes a nominee’s name will disqualify that nominee from consideration.
HOW WILL WINNERS BE RECOGNIZED?
Each District will host their own awards banquet or program to recognize all nominees and winners.The District First Place winner’s nomination form, 3 nomination letters and color photo will be forwarded to CHCA for judging. All six District CNA of the Year finalists will be honored during the 2020 Spotlight on Excellence awards banquet, to be held on October 15, 2020.
YOUR ENTRY MUST CONSIST OF THESE ITEMS:
• Nomination Form. Please make a clean copy of the form for each individual you nominate.
• Three nomination letters for each person nominated. Be sure not to disqualify your nominee by mentioning the person’s name or the facility in any of the nomination letters. Each letter must be typed and no longer than two pages in length. Please use the attached form.
• At the state awards banquet, CHCA presents a slide show of nominees interacting with residents. You must include a high quality color photo of your nominee so they will be a part of the show!
EACH LETTER SHOULD INCLUDE:
• Accomplishments in the nursing home/assisted living residence that have contributed to the operations of your facility;
• What distinguishes this person above others in enhancing the quality of life for the residents of the facility;
• How this employee exceeds their day to day job responsibilities; and
• Other information you would like to present about this employee
(e.g. community service work, volunteer work, length of service in long-term care, etc.)
BE SURE NOT TO DISQUALIFY YOUR NOMINEE!!! FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS.
Each nominee will be judged based on how they excel in the above criteria, as expressed through the nomination letters. Be sure to include at least